Select language:

The Hillwood Museum, a treasury of Russian and European art of XVIII-XIX centuries in the USA

 / Главная / Russkiy Mir Foundation / Publications / The Hillwood Museum, a treasury of Russian and European art of XVIII-XIX centuries in the USA

The Hillwood Museum, a treasury of Russian and European art of XVIII-XIX centuries in the USA

17.08.2018

They say that the Hillwood Museum is “the Hermitage, the Peterhof, and the Diamond Fund all in a single location.” Apparently, one of the largest Russian art collections outside of Russia is located in the estate on the fringes of Washington.


Front gate of the Hillwood Museum

The Hillwood Museum opened its exhibitions for lovers of Russian and European art of XVIII-XIX centuries in 1977.

The Hillwood Estate was owned by Marjorie Merriweather Post, one of the richest women in the United States, the only heiress of the Postum Cereal Company.

Grand portrait of Marjorie Merriweather Post

Her father, Charles William Post, used to cultivate in his daughter business skills and desire to possess luxurious antiques since her childhood. On top of that, later the committed young lady completed the History of Art course.

One of the museum rooms

Marjorie started creating her collection in 1920 with works of French applied and decorative art.

Permanent exhibition

In 1937 her husband, Davies, was sent as the US ambassador to Moscow. Marjorie Merriweather Post, known at that time as a collector of works of European artists and artisans, was vigorously buying up belongings of the Imperial family expropriated by the Bolsheviks. According to her testimony, the antiques intended for mass sale used to be sold by weight, just like apples.

Portraits of Olga and Tatiana, daughters of Nicolas II, and Tsesarevich Alexei

During her long and exciting life Mrs. Post succeeded in creating a huge collection of European art. To accommodate it, entrepreneurial and vibrant Marjorie purchased the Hillwood Estate in the neighborhood of Washington and furnished her house in full conviction that it would become a museum after her death.

Permanent exhibition in the Russian Art Room

Masterpieces of Russian and French applied and decorating art of XVIII-XIX centuries have been placed with dignity within magnificent chambers of this house.

Currently the Hillwood Museum is one of the best house museums of private art collectors in the United States.

The Imperial Crown of the Romanov Dynasty

In its holdings the museum stores hereditary jewels of the Romanov Dynasty, Russian icons, French tapestries and Sevres porcelain.

Nuptial tiara of Empress Alexandra Feodorovna with pink diamond

Art objects from Russia can rightfully be considered the jewel of the exhibition.

Grand portrait of Catherine the Great near the stairs of the main entrance

Paintings by Russian artists are displayed in the museum rooms.

K. Brullov. Portrait of Countess Samoylova and her daughter


K. Makovskiy. A Boyar Wedding Feast

Visiting the museum, the one can admire two Easter Eggs by Imperial Jewelry Firm of Carl Fabergé. Nicolas II presented these unsurpassed masterpieces to his mother, the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna at various years.


The Grisaille Egg or the Catherine the Great Egg

This egg was made by a master jeweler Henrik Wigström and was presented for Easter 1914. It is made of rock crystal and decorated with gold and red enamel.

The Grisaille Easter Egg

The egg's surprise was mechanical palankeen decorated with relief work and golden carving. It is carried by two moors dressed in bright liveries of red enamel.

The Egg’s Surprise

The palankeen has small widows made of rock crystal. Through them you can see Catherine the Great seated inside. The Empress wears enamel crafted white rope fringed with minever. The surprise is fitted with tiny watchwork. If it is winded up with a tiny key, the moors start moving: they slowly step with their small feet, and the palankeen rolls on little wheels.

The Grisaille Egg in the central display stand of the Hillwood Museum

Empress Maria Feodorovna was extremely delighted with the present, and in a letter to her sister she wrote: “It is a fabulously beautiful and luxurious creation of Fabergé. That is what I told him: “You are the greatest genius of our time, incomparable!”


The Twelve Monogram Easter Egg

It was made as an Easter present in 1896 and commemorated the Emperor Alexander III.

The Twelve Monogram Easter Egg

The Hillwood Museum considers this jewelry egg to be one of the most beautiful works by the Fabergé makers. It consists of six panels covered with dark blue enamel and scroll work on their surfaces.

A fragment of the Twelve Monogram Egg

The panels are divided by textured bands enchased with diamonds. Large diamonds are placed on golden pads at the cross-points.

A fragment of the Monograms Egg

The crowned ciphers of Alexander III, the Emperor, and Maria Fedorovna are set in diamonds on each panel. The Imperial Crown rises above the ciphers. The interior is lined with velvet. As the surprise, this Egg contained miniature portraits of Alexander III on stands of gold. Currently the miniatures are considered to be missing.


The original article was published by Izbrannoe source.

Rubric:
Subject:

New publications

Municipal Educational Council in San Francisco has taken a decision to paint over the murals on the walls of the local George Washington High School. According to the Russian Community Council of the USA (KSORS), it was recommended by the Reflection and Action Group designated by San Francisco municipal School District. What is so remarkable about these paintings and why is the situation so interesting for the Russkiy Mir? Actually, the thirteen panels of The Life of George Washington mural were painted in 1935-1936 by Viktor Arnautoff, a Russian émigré artist.
Touring schedule of the Alash ensemble from Tuva Republic during the International Indeginious People's Languages Year hasn't change. Seven months a year best throat singing ensemble is touring around Russia and abroad, during the rest of the year they are collecting folklore gems in Tuva and prepare new shows.After booked-out shows in os Angeles and Tokio, the musicians need to rest at home in taiga, alone with nature and herds of horses.
Recently, The Spiritual Path of Tchaikovsky by Galina Sizko was presented to the public in the library of the Russian Center of the Tchaikovsky House in Hamburg. The book was contributed and published by Denis von Meck, a descendant of the families of Tchaikovsky and von Meck, the founder of the NF von Meck Charity Foundation and a collector. The Russkiy Mir asked Denis to share about activities of the foundation established by him, and about his collection.
The Novel Bach musical project is concluded in the Netherlands. It aimed to introduce young Russian organ players (15 to 18 y.o.) to Dutch public, to demonstrate masterly level of their performance talent and to give the youth a unique opportunity to take part in master classes of famous organ players of Europe, to play on time-honored organs, and also to perform with their peers from the Sweelinck Academy at the Amsterdam Conservatory.
The International Hanseatic Days were held in Pskov on June 27 - 30. More than 1,700 delegates from 86 cities of the Hanseatic Trade League (which includes 192 cities in total with 14 Russian ones among them) were invited to Russia. The program includes festivals, concerts, fairs and forums with discussions of economic projects.
According to surveys, when choosing a place of study, more than half of foreign students are guided by the world rankings of the best universities. This year, 25 Russian universities entered the QS World University Rankings 2019-2020, and most of them improved their positions. Lomonosov Moscow State University became the most successful, having risen by six points at once. However, MSU rector Viktor Sadovnichy is sure that Russian education is undervalued.
If you look at Europe from the standpoint of Russian cultural heritage, you can find a lot of interesting things in virtually every country. So why isn’t such material used in lessons of Russian? Initiators of the Living Languages/Living Heritage Project invented an unusual mixture of history and language lessons. Igor Zhukovsky, head of the Russia-Aquitaine Association (Bordeaux, France) tells us what has become of it.
In the days of the latest anniversary of Saint Petersburg, the Russian émigré community respectfully remembers another significant yet unfairly forgotten Russian name. It is the name of Pyotr Alexeyevitch Dementyev, who was born on May 1, 1849 in Saint Petersburg on the Neva River and founded another St. Petersburg (or St. Pete, as it is called shortly) on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico in Florida.