Vaccination for the Empress 04.12.2021MacDougall's Auction House, the British auction house specialising in Russian Russian art, has held another important auction in London on December 1. There were more than 40 lots such as items of Russian art and history. The letter from Catherine the Great on the benefits of vaccination against smallpox is particularly noteworthy. Let's take this opportunity to recall the story of how the empress had promoted vaccination in Russia.
Orthodox community in Hamburg celebrated day of its patron - St. John of Kronstadt/ Главная / Russkiy Mir Foundation / News / Orthodox community in Hamburg celebrated day of its patron - St. John of Kronstadt
Orthodox community in Hamburg celebrated day of its patron - St. John of Kronstadt
The Orthodox Church celebrates the Day of Glorification of St. John of Kronstadt On June 14.
The Archbishop of Podolsk Tikhon, who heads the Berlin-Germany diocese, held a liturgy and consecrated a sculpture erected on the temple in honor of the righteous patron of the Hamburg community in the church of St. John of Kronstadt.
One of the oldest church choirs in Russia, the Moscow Synodal Choir, conducted by Honored Artist of Russia Alexey Puzakov, took part in the service. The concert of the band, organized with the support of the Russian Center in Hamburg, took place in the temple on the same day. Performances took place within the framework of the Days of Russian Spiritual Culture in Germany program and the Russian Seasons international cultural project.
The concert program included works by Nikolay Golovanov, Pavel Chesnokov, archpriest Nikolay Vedernikov, Dmitry Bortnyansky, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Sergey Rakhmaninov, Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), Mikhail Kosolapov and Anatoly Konotop. The concert was opened by the premiere performance of the work of Anton Viskov - Praise to the holy righteous John of Kronstadt.
The Sindodal Choir is the oldest professional musical group in Russia, leading its history since the 16th century from the choir of the Patriarch's singing clerks. It received the status of the Synodal choir during the reforms of Peter the Great in 1721, and participated both in church service and in the main state ceremonies of its time. The choir is a living successor to the unique singing tradition dating back to the Russian Middle Ages.
The school of spiritual singing existed within the choir, which gave Russia a whole pleiad of outstanding musical figures. Since the second half of the XIX century, the Synodal Choir also conducted concert and touring activities. During this period, the team collaborated with Pyotr Tchaikovsky and Sergey Rakhmaninov, its activities were supported by the Moscow Governor-General, Grand Duke Sergey Alexandrovich Romanov.
The current Moscow Synodal Choir began its revival in the spring of 2009 with the appointment of Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk as abbot of the Church of Joy of all who Sorrow at Bolshaya Ordynka street, where the traditions of the Moscow school of church singing under the direction of regent Nikolay Matveyev have been preserved since 1948. Currently, the group consists of 80 singers.
In addition to participating in ceremonial services, the Moscow Synodal Choir performs at the concerts in Russia and abroad. The choir represents Russian culture in many international projects - the team is selected as a partner by the main choir of the Vatican - the Choir of the Sistine Chapel. These two leading choral groups representing the musical culture of Eastern and Western Europe carry out a number of projects that testify to traditional Christian values and high art in the modern world. Also, the geography of performances of the Synodal Choir includes more than 40 countries around the world, including the UK, Germany, USA, Austria, Italy, the Czech Republic, Israel, Armenia and many others.
In 2010, the Fund was established to assist the revival of the Synodal Choir, which sets itself the task of preserving and developing the best traditions of liturgical church singing in Russia and popularizing this art.
Ekaterina Ivanova, Hamburg